Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Your Favorite Weird Foods

Okay, fess up. I know all of you have your favorite food combinations that you wouldn't dare admit to, or even eat in front of other people. I am no exception, and I want to open the floor to everyone's bizarre food preferences, so let's get it started.

My favorite after school snack in high school was chocolatey cereal + chips and salsa. It's SOOOOO good. You take a bite of cereal, and then eat a chip or two. Take another bite of cereal, and then more chips and salsa. The idea was never to mix the two, but to follow one with another until all the cereal was gone. It was ridiculously satisfying and I dearly wish we had some chips, chocolate cereal, and milk. The best salsa was the kind you can get in the refrigerated section, or the homemade salsa I posted the recipe to back in February or March or something. My preferred chocolate cereal was Cocoa Dyno-Bites... the kind in the bag. Chips can go either way. It's a perfect combination.

This one is retired as it involves peanut butter, but my dad got me hooked on PB&J dipped in Cream of Mushroom soup. It was an ideal for a quick and easy lunch after church. My dad and I would split a can of soup and he'd make me a sandwich and cut it into triangles. It's a shame I can't stomach peanut butter, because I miss how easy and delicious this nasty-sounding lunch was! It's not the same with just a jelly sandwich, too. I've tried.

Best man and surprise visitor Nathan Coon told me that he loves putting soy sauce on scrambled eggs. A part of me doesn't think that's weird, because I think soy sauce improves pretty much everything, but this is definitely outside a lot of people's comfort zone. As a matter of fact, I think that sounds pretty good so when I'm done posting this, I might whip up some eggs with soy sauce for the Nathans and myself.

My token Asian friend Krislynn is full of crazy food combinations! She likes to dress up her Top Ramen with sliced spam and a fried egg. I had spaghetti at her house back in high school and was completely caught off guard when the marinara sauce had a bunch of sugar added! One of her favorite breakfast foods was stolen from Neopets: a pizza omelet! She cuts up a slice of leftover pizza and mixes it with her eggs!


Alright, time to share! Comment with your favorite weird food and stay tuned for a new recipe post in a day or two :)

5 comments:

  1. It's not very inventive, but I always used to take a tortilla wrap, spread cream cheese on it, roll it up and microwave it for 30 seconds. great for when I came home from school peckish.

    other weird foods...hmm. I went through a pretty intense tomato-hating phase when i was about 12. So I'd put salad dressing (usually ranch) on spaghetti...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like hot dogs in mac and cheese. But I like to fry the hot dogs cut up in a little garlic - call it the 'grown up' version of this classic but, hey, whatever. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! I love reading your blog, by the way. Sorry to be a stalker...

    My fav weird combo is strawberry jam (homemade!) spread onto a grilled cheese sandwich (after it's grilled). SO good. It's also great with plain cheddar cheese quesadillas.

    Growing up, I used to squirt ketchup on a slice of cheddar cheese and pop it in my mouth. I would sprinkle soy sauce on plain, buttered pasta and peas. I haven't tried the soy sauce on eggs, though...sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay I'm glad you commented! Strawberry jam on grilled cheese sounds weirdly awesome! I'll have to give it a shot :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is cheddar cheese slices eaten on slices of red apples (my favorite is red delicious for this). It's amazing! Along those same lines, I've just recently discovered the combination of the Babybel cheeses (I like the red one) and red grapes :D


    (Did you steal this from LJ? :D)

    ReplyDelete