Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day Three: Chicken Pot Pie

Last week, I signed up to make a meal for a family that had just had a baby and decided to do chicken pot pie! The family cookbook has a great (and easy) recipe for pot pie, but when I went to get the cans of chicken--I know, I'm a cheater, but canned chicken is GOOD--we only had one can of chicken. Disaster. There wasn't enough filling! So I came up with an idea to add some minute rice (and ran it past my mother-in-law, just in case) and went with it. Success! Here is the recipe I came up with:


Chicken Pot Pie

1 8oz bag frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, green beans, carrots)
2 pie crusts (store-bought or homemade)
1-10 3/4 oz can of Cream of Chicken soup
3/4 cup milk
1 can of cooked chicken (or 2)
1 cup of Minute rice, uncooked
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Mrs. Dash (the wonder spice! I prefer the "Table Blend")
1 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Roll out the pie crusts. Defrost vegetables in microwave for about 3 minutes. Spray the bottom of a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray and cover the bottom with one of the pie crusts. In large bowl, mix the soup and milk, and then add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Evenly spread the mix in the pan and cover it with the remaining pie crust. Cut vents on top, and put it in the oven for 35-45 minutes. SO GOOD.

2 comments:

  1. Glad the Minute Rice thing worked out.

    I might just make me some chicken pot pie for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks fantastic... i have been looking for a good recipe to add to my recipe organizer and this looks great! thank you.

    ReplyDelete