Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Homemade Alfredo!

So Nathan and I eat a lot of pasta. It's cheap, quick, and easy, and a few well-chosen additions to the tomato sauce (not to mention Nathan's yummy homemade noodles) lead to a pretty tasty and satisfying meal. I've had bottled alfredo sauce before and I never really liked it, but I thought I'd give homemade a shot. I found a recipe at allrecipes.com that got great reviews and looked pretty easy. I changed it up a bit due to the ingredients we had available.

Here's what I did:

3 tablespoons butter
8 fluid ounces (1 cup) half and half
1/2 cup Italian 4-cheese blend (we got it at G's Dairy Delights)
1.5 tsp sauteed chopped garlic
1 egg yolk (beaten with a bit of half and half)
A shake or two of Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter over medium heat. Add half and half, stirring constantly. Stir in cheese and garlic. Stir constantly until the cheese is melted, then mix in egg yolk slowly. Add the Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Simmer until it reaches the desired consistency. Ta-da!

(I also added some canned chicken so Nathan could get some protein from somewhere besides peanut butter--I would've put in fresh chicken, but I didn't think to defrost it before it was too late. It tasted great but the canned chicken overpowered the sauce a bit. Next time I'll just let the sauce stand on its own, maybe with some homemade noodles!)

 

Also: you can find the best thing ever after the cut!
 
 
BACON PIZZA!

2 comments:

  1. I'm at work and I'm looking at this bacon pizza picture, silently cursing you on the inside because it looks freakin' AMAZING.
    I need to stop reading your blogs while I'm away from the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete