Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Salsa! It's famous!

I mentioned this salsa recipe in my first post. This is the one my piano teacher showed me how to make but I changed several elements to make it more to my taste. For example, hers was REALLY spicy and while I like it when food has a kick to it, I haaaate when food is so absurdly spicy that you can taste nothing but the capsaicin. I also don't like jalapenos. It's not the hot-factor, it's the flavor. Am I weird? Maybe. But the nice thing about this recipe is there's room to change things around to suit your own personal taste, but the basic formula remains the same. I've had a TON of people tell me it's the best salsa they've ever had, so if you won't take my word for it, take theirs, and try this out!

Really really really ridiculously good-tasting salsa
(Nathan named it)

 4 cups chopped and drained Roma tomatoes (or 2 lbs chopped)
1 large white onion, chopped
1 bunch cilantro, washed and chopped (the leaves only! the stems are bitter)
1 can of tomato sauce
1 tsp minced garlic (or 1/4 tsp granulated)
Juice of one lime (protip: cut the lime in half and microwave for 15 seconds to make it easier to squeeze, but don't burn your hand!)
Red pepper flakes (to taste)

Combine the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Add tomato sauce until the salsa has reached the desired consistency (your call; I like mine a little runny, but my best friend likes it chunkier). Add the garlic, lime juice, and red pepper flakes. Taste it to make sure it doesn't need anything else. Salt and pepper are optional and rarely necessary. Stir well, cover, and chill for at least 2 hours, but overnight is best. Remember, the red pepper flakes get stronger the longer the salsa is kept. Share with friends, this makes a LOT. Great with chips, on tacos or taco salad, or with eggs!


I say it's famous because my friend Kristina, who is pretty well-known on Youtube and in the Harry Potter fandom, is a big fan of my salsa and mentioned it in a video once or twice. I used to bring it to her shows and she would bring the chips and we'd kind of sit around and eat it for a few minutes after the concert was finished... good times. Anyway, her shout-out gave my salsa a bit of street cred.

Kristina's Youtube: italktosnakes

6 comments:

  1. You are not weird, I also do not like the flavour of jalapeƱos. To be fair I also hate cilantro, but that's genetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed it does! (taste like soap, that is) It is something to do with how I (and a lot of other people) process one of the enzymes in cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My uncle has that same thing. Of all things, soap. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that's very similar to my salsa! I don't like it too hot either - just with a satisfying kick - I usually use a mix of anaheim and pasilla peppers (I used to add chayenne if it needed more umph)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha did you and Erin Toy ever compare salsa notes? I will definitely experiment with those peppers you mentioned :)

    ReplyDelete