Friday, February 26, 2010

PIPPA PIE!

It started with a tweet...

I was watching the Olympics and saw some Canadian fans wearing some really cozy-looking mittens and I wanted some. I posted the following message on Twitter: "Any of my Canadian friends want to buy me some of those mittens? I probably won't pay you back hahah. jk jk but they do look cozy!" My lovely friend Pippa responded saying she had an extra pair and could be convinced into giving them to me. I told her to name her stakes. Embarrassing YouTube video? Done. Poetry? Done. She put a lot of thought into it and told me that in exchange for the cozy mittens, she would require me to make a new recipe specifically for her and post it to my blog. SO HERE WE ARE! I combined three delicious recipes to make, you guessed it--PIPPA PIE! (It must be in all caps when written about; when spoken, voices do not need to be raised.)


Pie crust, from the family cookbook:


1 1/3 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
3 Tbsp water


Combine flour, salt, and shortening until uniform. Add one tablespoon of water at a time. Work dough into a ball. Roll it out and put it in a pie pan. Prick the sides and bottom with a fork to release any air bubbles that form during cooking. Set the crust aside.




Sour cream peach pie filling, from About.com and adapted:


1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 egg, slightly beaten with a fork
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 29 oz can sliced peaches (drained

Preheat oven to 400°.  Combine sugar, flour, and salt; beat in sour cream, the beaten egg, and vanilla. Don't over-mix! The mixture will become too airy and not set well. Add sliced peaches. Pour mixture into unbaked pie pastry. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake 30 minutes longer. Remove from oven, but leave the oven on.



Crumbly topping, from the pear crisp recipe:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 cup quick oats
Dash of cinnamon
1/2 stick (1/4 cup or 4 Tbsp) butter or margarine 

Mix brown sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon together, and then add butter. Spread it evenly over the pie. Put it back in the oven for 15 minutes.

 


This pie was REALLY good. It finished baking around 11 PM last night but that did NOT stop Nathan and I from eating two slices each. I don't know if this counts as making up a new recipe, since I combined three very good recipes to make one super delicious pie, but I hope it does. This pie is mind-blowing.


 
 
WHAT SAY YE, PIPPA?

9 comments:

  1. That looks so very tasty. I think I'm going to have to try and make some PIPPA PIE myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I am going to make this. Probably very soon.

    Also, omg you are so adorable. I love your apron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D Let me know how it turns out!

    ps my mother-in-law made the apron!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh Exciting! I'm going to have to try and make this tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I feel so special, having a pie named after me :D

    I would never have thought to put sour cream in pie, but i find it really intriguing!

    I'm going to make it and post photos of my own PIPPA PIE.

    <3
    Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are officially a better cook than I ever aspire to be. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work! I'm going to give this a go when Jim gets home from China - he loves peach pie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like a fair compromise to get those coveted red mittens.

    ReplyDelete